Heroes and parades, bubbles and eggsThursday, April 24, 2014
Posted by: Jack Beckman, Valvoline MaxLife Dodge

 1 of 4 
Mary and Gary Linfoot continue to sacrifice every day for defense of our way of life. They gave…now it’s OUR turn!
Contrary to what I thought, apparently the race in Charlotte was NOT intended to get this team started on our winning ways. Nope, it appears that the gods of racing did not favor us during the four-wide event this year, as we fell from competition in round one by .000. No, that’s not a typo…had we been one- stinking -thousandth of a second better, it would have been the Valvoline team (and not eventual winner Robert Hight) advancing to the “semis” (it’s a bit confusing for the four wide, so I won’t elaborate on how the second round and the semis are technically one and the same).

What was awesome about Charlotte actually took place long before we even warmed the car up for qualifying. We did the official press conference and unveiled our new “Infinite Hero” car, which will debut this weekend in Houston and run five more times during the season. It’s simply one of the most bitchin’ looking funny cars ever, AND the cause we are helping is something that everyone can support with pride.

Please take a moment, log onto infinitehero.org, and check out how you can be a part of helping our wounded veterans.

Gary and Mary Linfoot were on hand for the conference and debut of the car, and they put a true face on why this cause is so important. Gary spent 23 years in the Army, and was a Special Operations helicopter pilot. When a mechanical failure caused his craft to crash, Gary spent four years confined to a wheelchair. I believe there is no hope to reverse his paralysis, but through the help of Infinite Hero, Gary was provided an “exoskeleton” to enable him to stand up and actually walk again. Meeting Gary, as well as his wife Mary (who is a hero in a different capacity and just as important to the IH cause), was very inspirational for me, making me want to put in the extra effort to ensure the maximum success with our campaign.

I would like to stress the point that our racecar not only doesn’t cost the foundation one dime, but that all expenses to provide this awareness platform for our troops were covered by two very special folks: Terry Chandler and Don Schumacher. Those two combined to pay the entire bill for each and every race where we will proudly carry the purple and black into competition.

All of you should be familiar with Mr. Schumacher, but many of you may not recognize Terry’s name. She is an incredible lady who also felt strongly enough about helping out seriously ill children that she personally funded an entire season for the Make-A-Wish race team, similarly helping that cause use racing to increase awareness and funding for a much-needed program. I couldn’t possibly express in words how proud and thankful I am towards Terry and Don.

I think the lower section of the left wall turned out real nice. It’s hard to tell if this looks like a surgery center, OR more like Dr. Frankenstein’s lab!
Carpet remnants from the house…check. Attic Insulation…check.  Grandpa’s old homework desk…check. Two kids ready to convert dad’s new garage into their own play house…you bet!

By the time this blog posts I should be well on my way to Houston, and I’m really getting “jacked- up” (I suppose I’m allowed to say that!) about hopping into our Infinite Hero Dodge. Later this year we again will run the “Wounded Warrior Project” paint scheme, and as a veteran it gives me such satisfaction and pride to be able to do something solid for our injured vets.

Lest you think that I’ve been slacking on the home front…err…you may be partially correct. (I wonder if subconsciously, knowing the garage project is nearing completion, if perhaps I have “milked” a couple of items of completion). That being said, I pretty much am done with the detail work on the inside, finally finishing the cover on the last lower section of wall. I really wanted to cover the three-foot-tall concrete wall that makes up the footing on the property-line side (it also doubles as a retaining wall for the dirt slope) with polished diamond-plate aluminum, but I really didn’t feel like spending another $550 just to look cool. Drywall wouldn’t look good and would surely get run into several times, paint wouldn’t cover all the imperfections, and I don’t have enough Valvoline decals to completely cover the wall, so I had to brainstorm.

I went with the material that is used for dry erase boards because: it’s white and shiny, it would only take four sheets, its low maintenance, AND…it’s less than $70 total to finish the wall! Once I got it all cut, glued on, topped with molding (then painted and caulked that)…I was a pretty happy camper. Once back from Houston I will remove a large cabinet from the main garage to install in the new project, then I should be ready to start cramming a bunch of random “stuff” into my new baby.

I actually have already packed about 1/3 of the attic. To appease the wife, I have emptied quite a bit from the house closets, so she now can fill THOSE with more crap…but HER crap! Boxes of National Dragsters, old car magazines, and trophies not only from my bracket racing days, but a couple dozen dating back to the late ‘70’s from my BMX adventures. While going through boxes and deciding what stays/goes, I’ve come across many things that have sparked some memories. I actually found the timeslips from the first day that I ever raced on a dragstrip. I wish they were dated (this was back in 1986 and Lubbock filled theirs out by hand), but they still are cool to me. I’ve got marbles from the 1940’s that belonged to my dad, I’ve got his father’s World War I Army uniform (!!), baseball card sets that I purchased in the early 80’s and just left in the boxes, and certificates and training manuals from my time in the Air Force.

It’s neat digging through that old stuff, but it’s also easy to get caught up in it all and waste half a day.

Fortunately, I didn’t have half a day to waste, as we had family stuff to do….

Baseball is at least two (sometimes three) times a week, and our White Sox boast an unblemished record. Yep, we have lost every single game (and we’ve played quite a few!) we’ve played! Actually, I think we may have tied once (like that will get us into the playoffs!), but who’s counting?

 1 of 7 
Proudly wearing my Oakley Infinite Hero glasses, sporting my “participant” ribbon, and working on my parade walk, here I dodge horse poop and follow my son and his posse as they fling candy to the unsuspecting throngs of onlookers.
Norco has lots of parades, I think so the residents can show off their horses on Sixth Street. Many of the little leaguers were invited to participate in one the day before Easter, so I felt obliged (Jenna made me) to help out. While Jason and the other ball players threw candy to the spectators, I got to walk along next to their trailer, doing my best to avoid all the trophies left in the road by the hooved manure generators. I don’t know what these folks are feeding their horses, but I was in total disbelief (and disgust)!

Speaking of Easter, of course we did the requisite egg-dying and hunting. I am proud to say that no eggs were harmed in the making of our Easter. Okay… about 5 didn’t make it…but it was Layla’s fault.

We also took the kids back to the Discovery Science Center, as it apparently was the end of “bubble month”. I may have my opinions on the excitement I feel at staring at translucent orbs of soap, but I dare not “pop the bubble” of my children when it comes to their fun. Also, Jenna made it clear this wasn’t a “voluntary” assignment for me.

Other than that, there’s not too much excitement to report at Beckman Central, unless your idea of fun is running sprinkler line underneath the footing of a wall, or having to dig down through 4 feet of dirt on the other side to make the connection. Nope, that wasn’t very enjoyable for me, either. However, mounting exterior gable lights on both sides of the garage wasn’t the hardest project, nor was mounting an additional handle on the garage door. Seems there’s always two or three more detail items that get added to the list…

Stay tuned, support our troops, don’t pop people’s bubbles, and definitely don’t step in horse poo. 

Posted by: Jack Beckman, Valvoline MaxLife Dodge
Pam Robinson and her daughter Michelle, as well as administrator David Martinez stand tall and proud with me outside the new Vegas VA hospital. My fifteen trips to visit our troops are the hospital visits that I most look forward to!
With the big door installed, it really looks like a garage now. All that’s left is some detail work, then loading it to the rafters with crap that I no longer need!
Oooh…look how pretty and shiny! No, not me…I’m talking about the paint on the ceiling and walls! Silly reader.
Oooh…look how good it looks! Hey, this time I AM talking about me! Think Jenna would have been pleased if I would have left the inset partially primered? Yeah…probably NOT the best place to pull a practical joke on her.
When Ludwig Von Sunglasses grows up to be a famous pianist, you can say that you saw it here first! Notice Shortzart is the only one sitting on his feet…nothing a phone book won’t fix!
Here’s Stan Musical (I think that was really clever!) working on his hitting game. Sure, the blue jeans aren’t league-approved, but a guy’s got to be comfy!

After more than seven years of penning (typing!) this blog for NHRA, you’d think that I’d have all the tricks of the trade down pat. You know, like shortcuts to attaching photos, ways to expedite each entry, and general efficiency regarding writing about my life. Well, you’d be wrong!

For instance, I’d guess the best way to keep up with my own blog would be to peck out a paragraph or two each day, then submit a new entry about once a week. All you’d have to do to “bust” that theory is look at the post dates from my last 50 or so blogs…it just doesn’t happen. Perhaps the next logical tip would be to type out my submissions in the morning, after Jason is at school and before Layla is awake and screaming for attention. Then, my mind would be clearer, there’d be much less in the way of distractions, and eking out a literary masterpiece would be much less encumbered by life’s hectic pace. Again, that’s just not me.

Nope…old Jack prefers to wait until LATE in the evening, on the very LAST day I’m in town before flying to the next race, and do a mad scramble to see what I can come up with. I know it’s not the most sensible way to conduct a consistent, long-term personal blogging effort, but so far it’s seemed to work for me.( Funny, I thought I heard laughter in the background as I finished that last sentence….and I digress…)

So, as you may well imagine, I will be heading into the great blue skies tomorrow to try again to bag that elusive Wally trophy. Charlotte has been good to me, as I have won both the four-wide, and the standard format races there (I actually got the inaugural win back in 2008). I can’t think of a better time for our Valvoline team to break out and get on a winning streak, plus we have an awesome announcement/unveiling on Friday of the race. (Hopefully you guys can get some updates from the drag websites to see what I’m referring to.)

The Vegas race was quite a struggle for our team. We qualified out of the top half for the first time this year, running only well enough to get the 14th spot on the ladder. We also hurt parts on two of our aborted qualifying passes, which isn’t our style. Looking heavily outmatched by a much quicker (and consistent) team car, the Make-A-Wish ride of Tommy Johnson, Jr., I wasn’t feeling very optimistic Sunday morning. Still, we were able to rally, lay down a good winning lap, and again came “oh-so-close-but-not-enough” in round two against ANOTHER DSR teammate, the NAPA car of Ron Capps. We fell to tenth place in the points, but I truly feel like we are getting our stride and will have our day, soon.

We stayed on Monday for a planned test session, where we made three pretty decent laps. We wanted to test another supercharger plus a new clutch disk that will soon go into our rotation, and we were pleased with the results. Often on test days I will shut the car off well before the finish line, as running it past the point where the clutch locks up (750’ is nearly always adequate) really only adds lots of strain and wear to the entire package.

On the plus side, there were no major issues with the RV during the few days that we were there. Heck, there weren’t ANY issues at all until I pulled into the truck stop to refuel Monday evening. Jenna, Cindy and the kids had driven home Sunday night, so I was by myself for testing and the trip home. Anyway, when I shut the engine off, three of the awnings decided to extend themselves. Fortunately, THIS time the remote worked, they retracted, and that was that.

Perhaps the most satisfying part of the Vegas experience for me took place Friday morning. If you stay up on my entries, you know that I try to visit the military hospital at Nellis AFB every time we are in town for the races. To date I had done 14, and this time I was able to get over to the brand new VA facility for the first time. It’s very rewarding spending some time with the veterans, and I hope to get a longer opportunity during visit #16 for the Fall race.

Back home, with another week off between races, it was time to get some surfing in. It’s just so difficult to find the time, plus hope that the surf cooperates on the days that I’m available. Thank God for Rich Camou, who not only is an early riser, but a damn fine surf prognosticator. I can always count on Rich giving me the skinny on all things rideable (maybe that didn’t come out right?!), and he can always count on me to drop in on him and steal some of his waves. Reciprocity is a great thing!

In addition to my oft-sought-after lawn maintenance skills (pushing a mower comes natural to me, as I’m used to having an engine out in front of me!), there still is plenty to do on the garage project. Though completion is tantalizingly close to occurring, I’m running out of time before the season gets super hectic, and I really want to start loading the new building. Hector got all the drywall taped, mudded, and sanded while I was in Vegas, so I went to town with a brush, a roller, three and a half gallons of primer and 2-plus gallons of semi-gloss White Shadow. It may sound complicated, but it really was just six hours or so of back and forth, up and down, side to side…and repeat. I got pretty good at it, but it wasn’t without its hassles. The ceiling was definitely the biggest pain. The ladder proved too cumbersome, so I again enlisted the faithful milk crate. By the time I finished the 400 or so square feet, my neck was plenty sore from tilting my head all the way back for better than two hours. I have a much deeper appreciation for Michelangelo, and I feel we are kindred spirits now. Sure, his work on the Sistine Chapel probably will endure slightly longer than mine, some may argue his mural took a bit more skill than mine, and one could make the point that paint quality has improved over the years, making his effort all the more impressive, but I still digress…He and I have more in common now than ever. And…if you still think he’s cooler than me, let’s see him suit up and hop into a fuel coupe for a blast down the track! Yeah…I didn’t think so!

I also cut, installed, nailed, patched, sanded, caulked, primed and painted the door casing for the small garage door. It looks good, I didn’t hurt myself, and I feel like a proud parent!

I’m excited that my new garage door (the big one) was installed. I think I’ve opened and closed it a few dozen times, just to get the feel for it and imagine what may roll through it in the years to come…

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this in any past blogs, but when we moved here in August of ’09, it was for one reason: my wife insisted. Yep, for better or worse I understood, and I’m now starting to get the “for richer or poor” part, loud and clear. I distinctly remember her, like a nine year old kid begging for a puppy dog, telling me over and over again that she would, “never, EVER ask for ANYTHING else again”…and that’s a quote.

Clearly she had her fingers crossed, or I was just a stooge to believe that vow. Anyway, once she saw that I had all my painting stuff out, Jenna decided that it was time for color change number three to go up adjacent to the stairwell. She said something to the effect that THIS color was THE ONE; having less yellow, providing a subtler, brighter presentation to the world. Whatever…here comes the ladder…

Also, our enormous living room obviously is just too big. You see, the wall-to-wall entertainment center/bookcase that we had purchased for the old house (and to me it looked and functioned just fine in this place, thank you very much!), now had to go. Jenna has had visions of a custom (that means, “expensive” in any language), built-in (that means, “even more expensive”) unit that provided that feng-shui (I think that’s a curse word in Oriental) that we so desperately needed. I’m not sure if the sarcasm is coming through the keyboard as heavy as I intend it to, but I shall endeavor on.

What this all means is a tremendous investment in a piece of furniture that basically will stay with the house, really won’t increase the resale value, but hopefully will do wonders to improve the marital bliss that we so fortunately enjoy.

Oh, yeah: Our 47 inch TV is no longer going to work, either. Truth be told, I knew it was time to upgrade on that end. It looked so huge in the old house, but really was a bit small with the depth of this living room. I was thinking we’d really take a leap and jump clear up to a 60”, and the prices aren’t so bad on those. So, when Jenna sent me to Costco to pick up our new unit, I didn’t realize we’d need a moving van and the forklift to get it here. Seems my myopic (which could be taken in a couple of contexts) and lovely bride decided that the 75-incher was what we needed…and now we have!

Of course, the TV stays in the box until the cabinet maker finishes the built-in, which I’m told will be about 6 weeks (and 3 pay periods) from now. Until then, we shall suffer through staring and squinting at the miniscule 47” version. 

Jason started piano lessons last week, and he appears to be pretty quick at picking up the basics. We ordered him an entry level keyboard so he can practice at home, so now I can enjoy the mellifluence of my seven year old Mozart-in-training, AND watch Hitler invade Poland on History Channel…all 75 inches worth…AT THE SAME TIME!

I continue to help coach Jason’s little league team (and test my patience), and last week we were able to take most of the kids to the local semi-pro field to watch the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (I can’t make this stuff up!) play. Before the game, all the little-leaguers were able to take the outfield and enjoy coaching from the players in various disciplines, such as running, throwing, fielding, listening….well; three out of four ain’t bad!

I need to sign off for now. It’s well past midnight and Beethoven has school tomorrow.

Stay tuned, prime first, C Major sounds cool, big screens are big-bucks,use two hands to catch pop flys, and paint up, Daniel-son!

Posted by: Jack Beckman, Valvoline MaxLife Dodge

When last I left you, I was really looking forward to watching Jason perform his initial model rocket launch, and I couldn’t wait for Gainesville due to some great stuff I was involved in. Well, I’m here to tell you that both of those were resounding successes. However, if you want to know the REST of the story…

I wanted to find a big, open space for Jason’s first launch, so we figured we would do it immediately after his baseball game, as there are acres of fields, plus we wrapped the game up with about 40 minutes left until dusk. That being said, I just didn’t feel comfortable (that means I was afraid of getting busted) around the ball fields, as there were a couple of night games going to be played, and still a decent amount of people around (and perhaps an off-duty cop or two!).

Plan B was to head to a small park fairly close to our house… which also had people practicing baseball on it. Wow, day one at “NASA Junior” already had several wrenches thrown into it! Okay, Plan C took us to a remote area of the local golf course, parking down a dead-end road, crawling under a chain, and hiking all our gear about ¼ mile (okay…1000 feet!) in to allow for the wind that was starting to increase. Now, if I were an astute reader, I’d be clueing in on that “wind” mention, as that probably ain’t real conducive to a successful rocket flight! Once Jason and I had the spot picked out, we prepared for liftoff. I had purchased several of the recommended “A8-3” rocket engines. Basically each letter further in the alphabet doubles the power of the engine (with “A” being the least powerful), and the numbers that follow refer to seconds of thrust, followed by seconds of delay before “reverse thrust” pops out the parachute. Simple enough, I got it…let’s go!

I wonder if Cpt. Smith looked this happy before setting sail? We had all the right equipment: baseball gear, fire extinguisher, clear and safe launch site, etc. What we didn’t have is a wind calculator, night vision goggles (or, a “glow in the dark” rocket would have sufficed), or enough restraint to call it a day after launch one.

Launch number one went nearly flawlessly. The rocket did settle downwind from our launchpad about 200 feet, but we had more than accounted for that with our initial hike. About the only thing that we could complain about was that the parachute had a couple slightly melted points from the deployment phase. To counteract that, you stuff “wadding” (Spanish for “expensive toilet paper”) between the rocket engine and the parachute, so apparently I was one or two squares shy on that. Now getting pretty close to dusk (if you’re closely following, “strike one” would be my mention about the wind increasing, “strike two” is the impending approach of night, and hang tight for “strike three”!), we had to make a decision: Go home now with one successful mission under our belts, or “damn the torpedoes” (I’m taking artistic license with that one), let’s go again!

Guess which one we chose?

Satisfied with the drift our rocket had encountered, there was one more very important decision to be made for our second and final (and boy…was it FINAL!) flight of the day: Stick with the safe, albeit boring (the rocket probably only attained about 500 feet of altitude) A8 engine, or stick one of the C6-4 babies in…the ones I bought just for such times! Yes, daddy wanted to see some altitude, and Jason would have none of that, “let’s go home now,” or “no dad, just stick with the smaller engine” attitude. My boy wanted to GO BIG…and we did!

Flight two was a bit perplexing. Firstly, the rocket FLEW into space with a ferocity nothing like flight # 1, but it actually drifted INTO the wind on the ascent. When it got out of sight, I shouted at Jason to keep his eyes open for the parachute. We’re still looking for that today. In fact, that was the last we saw of our silver and blue beauty (not exactly highlight colors when launching at dusk, by the way). We did walk around a bit, at least til darkness fell, but I don’t know where our rocket fell. So, roughly two hours of build time equated to a total of about 41 seconds of joy: a “work/play” ratio of over 175:1.(By the way…that’s not very good.)

What is good is that our rocket kit came with TWO units, so there will be an addendum to this story!

Gainesville was okay. We qualified number 3 on a very tough track, ran solid in our first round victory over the most recent Funny Car winner, Alexis DeJoria, but then had a dose of misfortune in round two against Ron Capps. Our C02 unit, which powers all the clutch and timing management systems in the car, had a bad case of “empty bottle” by the time I stood on the throttle. That never is a good thing, and always results in way too much power (the system, amongst other things, takes a chunk of timing out of the car just past the Christmas Tree, and this time it didn’t).

One of the absolute highlights of my career: Inducting Frank Hawley into the IDRHoF. It’s tough to put into words how special this was.
Not sure about the gentleman on the left, but how about: Big Daddy, the Farmer (Arnie Beswick), Hand Grenade (Harry Hibler), TV (Tommy Ivo), and Ray Motes! Hey, we’re gonna have to get Ray a cool nickname if he’s going to stand with this group! I just like that all these guys still call me “kid.”
Apparently something’s far more interesting to Layla than that large pachyderm in the background. I can tell by the ears that’s an Asian elephant, and I’d say that one is left-handed and prefers slightly drier grass. I’m pretty good with my elephants!
That is one WEIRD creature (the hippo, not the Homo sapiens). Crazy teeth, fat body, hairy face…reminds me of some of the folks who shop at Wal-Mart late at night!
Capps, Pollacheck, and me with Gabby, daughter of one of the participants. I’m amazed I’m smiling after the butt-kicking I took out on the track. At least all the spinning didn’t make me nauseous!
When the instructors tell you to take it easy until the tires heat up…listen! Until you get 3 laps in, driving aggressively will only cause excess time in the grassy part of the track… not that I know anything about that!

Gainesville was great. Thursday night my induction of Frank Hawley into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame went smooth. I think Frank stole the show from all other speakers, and I’m pretty sure the coverage should be available somewhere so you can enjoy his and the other inductees speeches. Just wonderful to be a part of, with a room full of legends and getting to induct one of my favorite people…even cooler than launching a rocket!

We had decided to stay Monday after the race and test our backup chassis, so the week before I paid the $200 change fee (thanks, United!) to extend my flight for one more day. Wouldn’t you know that it started pouring late Sunday night, washing out any chance to run on Monday! Knowing that several hours in advance, I changed back to my original flight (and of course was charged ANOTHER $200…love you, United).

Arriving at the airport at 4:45 Monday morning, I headed over to the ticket counter to get my boarding pass. That’s when I was greeted with the worst message a traveler can receive: “Flight cancelled” scrawled across the screen! To make a long story (and even longer day) short, I spent a total of 17 hours on planes, or sitting in a terminal waiting for a plane, before finally landing back in good old CA. Yep, I got to fly from Gainesville to Tampa, Tampa to Jacksonville, Jacksonville to Dallas, and Dallas to Ontario. Ah, the life of a professional racecar driver!

In addition to my garage building duties, it was time to get the RV road worthy for our upcoming trip to Las Vegas. I’d mentioned a couple of our phantom issues lately, and my phone call to the Monaco tech support center didn’t give me any revelations, so I just started checking anything and everything connected to the batteries. I checked connections, voltage, load tested all ten (!) of them, topped the water, checked voltage and load tested again, checked for voltage drop across the disconnect switches, cleaned connections, replaced one auxiliary wire terminal, said ten Hail Mary’s and buttoned everything back up. I’m starting to wonder if the ignition switch possibly is sticking half way between “off” and “on,” causing some weird problems. Either that or this coach is cursed.

In between battery tests, I had to track down some masonry blocks. I know I told you guys that I was all done building walls, and that technically is correct. However, several caps got knocked off the wall lining our ramp when Sully jackhammered for the garage footing, and the stucco guy seemed to not like to put plastic down, making a mess of several of those blocks. Anyway, the place where I have purchased all the blocks that I have used for walls doesn’t match the color of the ones on the ramp. So, I started my investigation. Seems there are four suppliers of “tan” blocks in Southern California. After getting the locations of the other three, I decided to start with the closest one to me. Hey…bingo! Alright, now I just have to get out my mortaring tools and block working equipment one more time, and I should be done (okay…if you stick around I bet you’ll find at least one more “wall” will be constructed this year).

The drywall prep is nearly done. Hector, who did the finish work on our loft project in the house last year is back out for this. No way I have the time (or the talent, though I did do the entire drywall project on my last garage) to get this done, but Hector will have it ready for priming once I get back from Vegas.

I got my deadbolt/locking doorknob combo installed today. Heck, I even got them rekeyed to match the house, just to be fancy. However, with the big garage door not slated for installation for a couple more weeks, I doubt locking the deadbolt is going to keep anyone out!

Yesterday we took the kids to the San Diego Zoo as part of a “field trip” for Jason’s school. Layla is such an animal lover. She’s the only person I know who thinks that lizards are “cute,” and she even thought watching the elephants and hippos poo was awesome. I thought it was kinda funny, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say, “Awesome!”

Lastly, I again participated in the Sonoma go-cart event for Speedway Children’s Charities. This was my third year, but the first time that it wasn’t raining. I sort of knew that my luck probably would run out, as I was pretty fast in the water but had no clue how hard to drive those Rotax-powered carts all-out. Scotty Pollacheck (Pro Stock Bike) and Ron Capps were the other pro celebrities. Capps has done this nearly every year they’ve had it, and Scotty was a first-timer. I think the past two years I won my heat and finished top three or four in the main, but this year the best I could do was fifth…in my heat! There were so many fast guys in group 1 (why I was put in there is a mystery). Capps also had some quick competition in group three, but he was super-fast and won that heat. I think he finished 3rd in the main, going as quick as 58 seconds. I was back in 8th place, with a best of 60 seconds. I just couldn’t get under that “one minute” mark. Next year either I’m going on a diet or putting 20% nitro in my car. I’m also going to wear camouflage, as spinning around on the grass ain’t cool when wearing a bright red “Valvoline Max Life” firesuit!

It was perfect weather, a fun day, and a great cause, and I’m proud to be a part of it. Plus, I made six other racers (and Capps) feel much better about themselves as they roared past me on the track. I’m a giver!

That’s it for now. I hope Vegas is the start of something big for our team. We have an announcement coming up soon that I think all of you will like. Also, our clutch assistant, Marla Weidenaar, is now Marla O’Guinn. She and Michael (clutch guy for Antron) tied the knot last Saturday and will both miss Vegas while on their honeymoon. I just hope that means I don’t have to grind flywheels and stack clutch packs…I have a hard enough time packing chutes!

Stay tuned, hippos have bad teeth, exit speed is GOOD if you’re in a go-cart, RV’s still suck, and who ever came up with four different shades of TAN MASONRY BLOCK???  Also, if anyone finds a blue and silver rocket, please return to……..

Posted by: Jack Beckman, Valvoline MaxLife Dodge

I’ve always been a used-car sort of guy (that’s a euphemism for, “cheap bastard”!). I just couldn’t see plunking down all that money (or worse yet, a long-term loan with high monthly payments) for an object that would depreciate the instant you signed the title. I bought my Yamaha brand new in 1985, my 23’ motorhome in 2000, and my wife’s Flex in 2012. Other than that, I’m a high-mileage dude, with a “used” attitude!

I have, however, began to question whether or not it’s time to bite the bullet on some fresh wheels (I want a quad-cab truck) for myself. Spoiler alert: none of this applies to motorhomes… they’re all money pits, whether you pay five grand or five hundred grand (it’s just more technical headaches on the expensive units).

Why my poor vehicular outlook, you ask? Well, let’s just start with the RV. A couple of weeks ago Jenna phoned me to inform me that our Monaco was making weird noises, the driver’s side slide out had come out all by itself (not the first time for either), and apparently our decorative, wall-mounted light was struck and killed by the wayward pop-out. Nice! I suppose it could have been worse, as the light is under a hundred bucks, and the RV didn’t suffer any damage.

Then, while parked in the pits during the race at Phoenix, we experienced some odd ghostly noises starting around 2 a.m. both Friday and Saturday night. Firing up the generator and leaving it run all night seemed to fix that issue, and at $4.09 a gallon for diesel fuel, who’s to complain? Once back home, it seems the spirits got restless again, powering out 3 of the 4 awnings. Again… not the first time. What was special about this time is that they would not retract… period. Nope, not with the generator on, not with shore power hooked up, not with the inverter on, and definitely NOT with green eggs and ham! Even a call to tech support at Monaco didn’t get me any closer. Finally, I conducted an amateur exorcism, sacrificed a chicken (I’m joking… no accusations of heresy, please!), clapped three times, and finally got the remotes to retract all units. One small step for man, but a big sigh of relief for me.

My car adventures continued with the old, trusty, rusty and dusty Nissan, and my plugged catalytic converter. Not even Preparation H could fix it, so I had to make the painful decision to perform surgery on a dying patient. Yep, I elected to pony-up $198 to rearrange the Titanic’s deck chairs. Call it honor for a long time friend, but I think I still can milk a few more miracles out of “the Red Dragon” (that’s a reference from “Old School”).

Now THIS is living! Yes, 7:30 on a Friday morning, broke down in the middle of the high desert. Hey, the paint’s not much to look at, but those tires have plenty of good miles left on them!
I don’t recall any tattoos, facial hair, or grey last time I saw Harry, but February of 1988 was quite some time ago… and I was a baby back then!
At the steel yard. It’s hard to tell where the scrap metal ends and the pickup begins. The paint’s not much to look at, but those tires are plenty fresh!
Welding around wood, with tons of sawdust and other flammable things in proximity is always fun! As you can see, Jack doesn’t weld without a fire extinguisher handy. The way I weld, I probably should also have ‘911’ on hold!
Thank God Jason was able to hold the cap down with his foot, or I may never have finished this wall! He has a knack for showing up for the picture, and disappearing once the work starts. Hey, he must be a driver!

So, that leaves my PT Cruiser to be the last thorn in my side. Funny, I just had checked it over the night before to make sure all fluids looked good, as Brent Cannon and I were heading up to Bakersfield for the March Meet. Friday was the only day that I could go (Jason’s seventh birthday was Saturday), so I headed out at 6:15 to pick Brent up. Seventy miles into my trip, and about 15 since picking up Brent, things got awfully quiet. Yep, the car just shut off. Now, this had happened to me a couple months prior, on my way to surf. That time it was the positive battery cable corroding to the point that it had broken, and I “MacGyvered” it by removing the air box and jury-rigging it with the jumper cables.

This time the prognosis was not so good. Apparently on the PT’s, one is supposed to replace the timing belt at 100,000 miles. Well, I went the, “just say no” route on that. I’m here to tell you, 157K may be the magic number, as mine broke… bad. Anyhoo, after the Auto Club loaded us on a flatbed, took us to Cal Auto in Phelan (owned by bracket racer Chris Lee, who works on Brent’s stuff), Staci Cannon and son Brad brought Brent’s car up, and we were back on the road and heading to the track, albeit an hour and a half later than expected.

Man, do I think we dodged a bullet (as opposed to biting it, which I alluded to earlier in the blog) on that. First, if it would have happened anywhere later in our drive we would have been marooned. Secondly, having a reputable auto shop within 15 minutes was fantastic. Thirdly, it didn’t tag any valves when the belt let loose.

About the time Brent and I were pulling into Famoso, Chris let me know the news: Timing belt and pulleys, water pump, motor mount, fan and a/c belts, coolant and labor came to a cool $695. Yes, again I felt as though I had just given a Rolex watch to a homeless man (perhaps I should have stuck to my “…deckchairs on the Titanic” metaphor?). However, Brent and I had a great day, the car was ready when we got back into town, and it got me to the beach and home the following day. Maybe that new truck can wait a few more months!

Okay, I’m coming off my soapbox regarding vehicles, and let’s catch up since last blog:

On our way to Phoenix, about 90 miles into the trip, Layla started getting a fever. If you read the last blog, the doctor had put her on antibiotics but cautioned us if she began to get a high temperature. It was very stressful for over an hour, as Jenna continued monitoring Layla. I couldn’t turn the rig around, as I had to be at the starting line at 7:15 the following morning to do media ride-alongs in the Frank Hawley school two-seat dragster. Phoenix has no Kaiser health care facilities, and we didn’t want to be out of pocket and away from home if Layla needed care, so the only alternative was to unhook the PT off the back of the RV and send Jenna and the kids back home. Fortunately, about that time Layla’s temp came down, and we soldiered on.

Phoenix, in my eyes, will be the race where Rob Flynn began to show his muscle. We ran quick, consistent, and fairly predictably, getting our first round win of the year with the best ET of round one. Unfortunately, we were in the lane adjacent to Robert Hight when HE layed down low ET of round two, and that was that.

In Phoenix I ran into Harry Weber, who occupied the room right next door to me for the last couple of years I was in the Air Force. I hadn’t seen him since early in 1988, and he was only there doing some vendor work for the track when he noticed my name on the pit layout paperwork. Small world!

I’m very much looking forward to Gainesville, as not only do I think we have a car capable of winning, but I’m going to have a Thursday to remember. Frank Hawley is being inducted into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame, and I get to do the honors! I’ve known Frank for 17 years, worked for and with him since 1998, and think the world of the guy. I’m humbled and excited that he asked me to do this.

If you’re wondering what else I’ve been up to, I’ve spent quite a bit of time on the toilet. Hmmm, maybe that didn’t come out right… allow me to clarify: Our area apparently has pretty hard water (we recently had a softener and reverse osmosis filter system installed… and it wasn’t free!), which apparently is eating up the rubber gaskets inside the toilet tanks. I’ve slowly been changing everything out in each unit, and I’ve completed 3 out of 4. My other time on the toilet is not for public knowledge!

The garage is still taking shape. I drove out to Anaheim to pick up a 15’4” I-beam to use as an engine puller. There’s actually a steel supplier much closer to me, but I hate giving my business to people whose customer service skills, well, SUCK! So, I made the longer trip, took plenty of tie-downs, and sweated all the way back home that this 225-pound monster would stay on top of the Nissan. After unloading it, cleaning, priming, and painting it, I convinced neighbors Matt and Curtis that I’d be far less likely to incur a hernia if they would do the heavy lifting. I had built a life-size mockup out of wood to be certain how long a beam would swing into that size pocket (I had 15’8” of span for the top plates, but only 15’1” between walls). Rather than learn advanced Calculus, I just screwed a bunch of pieces of wood together, tried three attempts to insert it, and ended up with a magic number of 184”. And…. it cleared the wall by less than ¼” when we swung it up there. Otherwise, Curtis and Matt would not have been happy hanging out while I burned up Saw-zall blades! Once I welded the support plates to the beam, I can now drywall around the top of the beam and complete the sheetrock. Then it’s time to have someone come tape and mud, because I’m OVER that part of it!

I just completed (stop me if you’ve heard this before) a couple of walls. Yes, I believe the Beckman-era wall building has now officially come to an end. Oh, there may be some cosmetic stuff still in the works, but I think my structural masonry is complete. I installed walls on either end of the garage to encase the dirt slope and act as retention. They actually came out damn nice (though it took me about 4 times longer than a professional would), so I can retire on a positive note. The thing that wasn’t fun (mind you that I was building one on a slope, having to climb up and down a short retaining wall every time I needed anything) was humping the 94 pound bags of concrete, 90 pound bags of mortar, 30 pound bricks that slowly grind off your fingertip skin, mixing concrete to the point that my hands looked like a desert landscape, and frying the back of my neck in 85-degree weather. All that being said… I loved the satisfaction!

I’ve got the garage door on order and probably will start loading the attic by the end of this month. I’ll just have to find another project to keep pushing myself after this one’s done (like I’ll ever be done!).

 1 of 5 
That’s about 615 years worth of experience in this photo, and let’s just say that Brent and I shifted the “curve” down slightly! Hot-rodders from back in the time before the phrase was even a phrase!

You may have wondered, when reading about my PT Cruiser episode, why I just didn’t cancel the rest of the 160-mile trip to Bakersfield last Friday. Well, not only do I love the nostalgia stuff, but I was the featured speaker for the Smokers car club annual dinner Friday night. The Smokers, founded in 1951, were responsible for the Famoso track coming into existence. They promoted the original March Meets, starting in 1959. In fact, they are the reason that Don Garlits originally came out west, as they paid him appearance money to come out and prove he was competition for the California cars. At that race in 1959, he wasn’t. However, the next week he had a supercharger mounted on top of Swamp Rat 1 (just like the West Coast hitters), and the rest really is history. The gentleman who won that race, Art Chrisman, was in attendance at the dinner. In fact, six of the original (as in, from 1951!!!!) Smokers showed up. It was just awesome to be in the same room, and surreal to be the guest of honor.

We had Jason’s official party the day after his birthday, the 9th. He got some cool gifts, but I think this year I hit the home run. Jenna has incredible taste for picking the perfect presents, and I have zero creativity or insight, so I typically just rely on her. However, I remember when I was Jason’s age how cool model rockets were, so I got him a kit. Don’t tell Jenna, but he informed me that was the best gift he got this year, so I know he’s excited to go and press the launch button for the first time. We built the smaller of the two rockets today, and tomorrow we’ll see if we can go catch some stuff on fire, melt the launch pad, break the rocket, and get him over this phase quickly. Seriously, I sure hope he loves watching this thing streak towards the heavens.

My dad celebrated (maybe that’s not the right word… I doubt he was jumping up and down, especially with his new knee) his 77th today, and that should pretty much wrap this entire blog up. We’ve talked about birthdays, seeing old friends, and what money-pits cars can be. I can’t think of anything else!

Stay tuned, keep your rocket pointed straight, don’t let your mortar get wet, your beam rust, or your belt break. And keep your toilet time to a minimum!

Previous Entries
Next Entries