The NHRA JEGS Northern SPORTSnationals produced several first time winner’s this weekend at National Trail Raceway and the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series led by Jeremy Duncan and Steven Dziorny in Super Stock and Stock Eliminator.
Duncan, Charlestown, Ind., drove his ’68 Camaro to the win in 9.802 seconds over Anthony Bertozzi, Ashland, Va., while Dziorny, Lenard, Mich., became the youngest driver to win a JEGS SPORTSnationals event at 16 years of age in defeating Adam Davis, Cullman, Ala.
Rob Moser was also a first time visitor to winners circle taking his Moser Engineering ’10 Corvette through the field, matching up with the 2008 JEGS Northern SPORTSnationals winner Gary Linkhorn, Cumberland, Ohio, in the final. Moser, Portland, Ind., got the best of Linkhorn with a 9.911 second lap at 161.42 mph.
Jason Coan collected his second JEGS win here at National Trail Raceway knocking out David Yediny, Nazareth, Pa., running 8.161, 157.58. The Kokomo, Ind., resident also won here in 2009.
Ohio racer Phillip Smida II of Canfield, beat out local favorite Troy Coughlin Jr. of Delaware, Ohio, in Super Comp. The win is Smida’s first in his ’08 dragster while Scotty Rienschield grabbed his second in the Super Street class. The past track champion from Sunman, Ind., Rienchield, faced off with Linn Bebout, Gambler, Ohio, taking the trophy in 10.925 seconds at 140.48 mph in his ’69 Corvette.
Curt Fredrick and Ricky Adkins each scored a pair of wins this weekend as Fredrick, Burlington, Wis., won his first ever Lucas Oil divisional event on Thursday and won his first NHRA National event on Sunday in beating Gary Wojnowski, Strongsville, Ohio, with a run of 7.008 seconds at 195.85 mph. The final round was his 10th straight round win for the weekend. Adkins started his win streak on Saturday when he won the JEGS Top Dragster Shootout and returned today to take the win against Thursday’s Top Dragster winner Dylan Scott. Adkins clocked in at 6.754 at 190.38 mph.
Newark, Ohio, racer Kyle Sensabaugh was the final winner of the night with a win in the Jr. Dragster class over Conner Griser. Sensabaugh went 7.892 seconds at 81.53 mph.
With 525 racers in competition, the event marked the second biggest in its history, second only to the 2005 event with 533.
The following are the final results from the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series JEGS Northern SPORTSnationals event at National Trail Raceway:
Jason Coan, Kokomo, Ind., dragster, F/ED, 8.165, 157.58 def.
David Yediny, Nazareth, Pa., '71 Opel, L/A, 8.862, 135.24
Jeremy Duncan, Charlestown, Ind., '69 Camaro, SS/GA, 9.802, 129.73 def.
Anthony Bertozzi, Ashland, Va., '98 Grand Am, SS/AS, 9.156, 147.86
Steven Dziorny, Leonard, Mich., '03 Dakota, K/SA, 11.964, 102.22 def.
Adam Davis, Cullman, Ala., '69 Camaro, F/SA, foul
Phil Smida II, Canfield, Ohio, dragster, 8.976, 153.72 def.
Troy Coughlin Jr, Delaware, Ohio, dragster, 8.940, 163.10
Rob Moser, Portland, Ind., '10 Corvette, 9.911, 161.42 def.
Gary Linkhorn, Cumberland, Ohio, '27 roadster, 9.925, 154.60
Scotty Rienschield, Sunman, Ind., '69 Corvette, 10.925, 140.58 def.
Linn Bebout, Gambier, Ohio, '69 4-4-2, 10.929, 139.37
Curt Fredrich, Burlington, Wis., '68 Camaro, 7.008, 195.85 def.
Gary Wojnowski Sr., Strongsville, Ohio, '96 Cutlass, 7.078, 195.39
Ricky Adkins, Milan, Mich., dragster, 6.754, 190.38 def. Dylan Stott,
Columbus, N.C., dragster, 6.676, 200.32
Kyle Sensabaugh, Newark, Ohio, dragster, 7.892, 81.53 def.
Connor Grisez, Vermilion, Ohio, dragster, foul
Ricky Adkins, Milan, Mich., took the win for the JEGS Top Dragster Shootout today at National Trails Raceway and the NHRA JEGS Northern SPORTSnationals. Adkins went 6.717 seconds and 6.682 in rounds one and two to defeat Jim Prevo, Mundelein, Ill., and James Monroe, Bloomington, Ind., then had a bye run in the final when Michael Smith broke his motor in his semifinal win over Troy Stone. Adkins took home $3,000 of the $5,000 purse for his win.
Charlie Westcott Jr., far lane, won the Hemi Challenge of Charlie Sr.'s red-light.
Charlie Wesctott Jr. led the winner’s in today’s Stock/Super Stock class racing taking the win over his Dad Charlie Westcott Sr., in the John Holt Race Cars Hemi Shootout for the SS/AH class. The Parma, Mich., racer qualified number one with his quickest run of the day at 8.367 seconds at 160.29 mph followed by Westcott Sr. at 8.504, 158.13. Westcott, coming off a Mopar Hemi Challenge win at the Mac Tools NHRA U.S. Nationals earlier this month, marched through three rounds of eliminations recording low elapsed time in each round with an 8.973 second run in the final as he shut off early when Sr. left early with a red light foul start. Local racer Jim Pancake, Delaware, Ohio, fell to Westcott Jr., in round two after beating Joe Tueton, Schriver, La., in round one.
Low qualifiers for tomorrow’s eliminations include Charlie Greco, Paoli, Pa., in Comp Eliminator; Dave Layer, Dayton, Ohio, in his ’08 Super Stock Cobalt; Britton, Mich., racer Charley Downing, ’10 Mustang in Stock; Jeff Brooks, Fredericksburg, Va., and his ’51 Henry J in Top Sportsman running 6.675, 207.18 mph; and Eddie Careccia, Mars Hill, N.C., in the divisions Spitzer Race Cars Top Dragster.
Racing continues Sunday at National Trail Raceway with round one of eliminations set for 8 a.m. The Jr. Dragsters will take the track at 10:30 a.m. followed by round one of Comp Eliminator, Top Dragster and Top Sportsman. Gates open at 7 a.m.
Tickets are $20 for adults, children 6-12 are just $5 and kids 5 and under are free. For more information call National Trail Raceway (765)689-8727 or visit www.nationaltrailraceway.com
The following are Saturday’s results at the NHRA JEGS Northern SPORTSnationals event at National Trail Raceway:
JEGS TOP DRAGSTER SHOOTOUT
Ricky Adkins, Milan, Mich., dragster, 19.255, 66.65 def. Michael Smith, Owosso, Mich., dragster, no show
JOHN HOLT RACE CARS HEMI SUPER STOCK CHALLENGE
Charlie Westcott Jr., Parma, Mich., '68 Barracuda, SS/AH, 8.973, 116.26 def. Charlie Westcott, Parma, Mich., '68 Barracuda, SS/AH, foul
1) Charlie Greco, Paoli, Pa., '10 Cobalt, L/AA, 8.688 seconds, -0.712 (under index)
2) David Yediny, Nazareth, Pa., '71 Opel, L/A, 8.706, -0.684
3) Jason Coan, Kokomo, Ind., dragster, F/ED, 8.080, -0.630
4) Frank Aragona Jr., Freehold, N.J., dragster, F/ED, 8.095, -0.615
5) Ed Bennett III, Carleton, Mich., dragster, A/D, 6.438, -0.592
6) Rick Brown, Lebanon, Ohio, '00 S-10, B/TA, 8.211, -0.589
7) John Frech, Cortland, Ohio, dragster, F/D, 8.040, -0.560
8) Bo Butner, Floyds Knobs, Ind., '10 Cobalt, E/SMA, 8.483, -0.547
9) Steve Szupka, Willow Grove, Pa., '32 Bantam, G/EA, 8.236, -0.544
10) Glen Treadwell, Sorrento, Fla., '23 roadster, E/EA, 8.391, -0.529
1) Dave Layer, Dayton, Ohio, '08 Cobalt, GT/GA 9.823 seconds, -1.077 (under index)
2) Wes Leopold, Bridgeville, Pa., '93 Daytona, SS/AS, 8.575, -1.025
3) Jerry Silveus, Van Buren, Ohio, '05 Cavalier, GT/CA, 9.380, -1.020
4) Rich South, Pataskala, Ohio, '08 G5, GT/FA, 9.781, -1.019
5) Bill Rink, Naperville, Ill., '74 GTO, SS/MA, 10.864, -0.986
6) Irvin Johns, Charlestown, Ind., '08 Cobalt, GT/BA, 9.266, -0.984
7) James Evanuik, N. Versailles, Pa., '98 Escort, GT/A, 9.018, -0.982
8) John Stock, Sandusky, Ohio, '92 Cutlass, GT/MA, 10.772, -0.978
9) Joey Wilkes, Zanesville, Ohio, '09 G5, GT/CA, 9.426, -0.974
10) Matt Alvey, Mt. Washington, Ky., '05 Sunfire, GT/CA, 9.429, -0.971
HEMI SUPER STOCK CHALLENGE
1) Charlie Westcott Jr., Parma, Mich., '68 Barracuda, SS/AH, 8.367 seconds, -0.933 (under index)
2) Charlie Westcott, Parma, Mich., '68 Barracuda, SS/AH, 8.504, -0.796
3) Jim Pancake, Delaware, Ohio, '68 Dart, SS/AH, 8.725, -0.575
4) Russ Campbell, Springfield, Mo., '68 Barracuda, SS/AH, 8.731, -0.569
5) Daniel Rogers, Lockport, La., '68 Barracuda, SS/AH, 8.752, -0.548
6) Joe Teuton, Schriever, La., '68 Barracuda, SS/AH, 14.243, 4.943
1) Charley Downing, Britton, Mich., '10 Mustang, K/S, 11.232 seconds, -1.318 (under index)
2) Bo Butner, Floyds Knobs, Ind., '10 Mustang, AA/SA, 9.446, -1.154
3) Keith Lynch, Greenville, Ohio, '10 Challenger, A/SA, 9.857, -1.143
4) Drew Skillman, Greenwood, Ind., '12 Mustang, AA/SA, 9.485, -1.115
5) Irvin Johns, Charlestown, Ind., '10 Challenger, A/SA, 10.003, -0.997
6) Caleb McFarland, Manchester, Ohio, '02 Firebird, A/S, 9.954, -0.996
7) Robbie Shaw, Bowdon, Ga., '01 Firebird, A/SA, 10.009, -0.991
8) Bob Michael, Lebanon, Ohio, '77 Le Mans, O/SA, 12.174, -0.976
9) Chris Mattingly, Shepherdsville, Ky., '01 Firebird, C/SA, 10.426, -0.974
10) Randy Wilkes, Zanesville, Ohio, '01 Firebird, B/SA, 10.279, -0.971
1) Jeff Brooks, Fredericksburg, Va., '51 Henry J, 6.675 seconds, 207.18 mph
2) Fred Gallo, Shirley, N.Y., '08 Cobalt, 6.704, 205.79
3) Mike Coughlin, Delaware, Ohio, '06 Cobalt, 6.800, 206.64
4) Randy Primozic, Wickliffe, Ohio, '01 Cavalier, 6.808, 197.80
5) Dylan Stott, Columbus, N.C., '67 Shelby, 6.824, 201.85
6) Matt Sam, Austintown, Ohio, '04 Grand Am, 6.829, 202.18
7) Ronnie Davis, Commerce, Ga., '63 Corvette, 6.850, 201.76
8) Ryan Ondrejko, Roslindale, Mass., '08 GTO, 6.867, 201.91
9) Gino Fagnilli, W. Newton, Pa., '67 Mustang, 6.870, 202.27
10) James Wyatt, Circleville, Ohio, '94 Grand Prix, 6.886, 194.18
1) Eddie Careccia, Mars Hill, N.C., dragster, 6.084 seconds, 230.49 mph
2) Michael Smith, Owosso, Mich., dragster, 6.135, 227.15
3) Richard Edwards, Terre Haute, Ind., dragster, 6.195, 223.76
4) Troy Stone, Elkhart, Ind., dragster, 6.211, 231.87
5) Tom Elliott, Brooks, Ky., dragster, 6.240, 221.45
6) Rick Forish, New Palestine, Ind., dragster, 6.436, 210.47
7) Alan O'Brien, Roncerverte, W.V., dragster, 6.504, 228.00
8) Vince Nannini, Lake Bluff, Ill., dragster, 6.548, 208.10
9) John Deakins, Louisville, Ky., dragster, 6.565, 206.45
10) Casey Spradlin, Ranburne, Ala., dragster, 6.598, 206.86
Persistent rain showers forced NHRA and track officials to cancel today’s qualifying and time trials for the JEGS NHRA Northern SPORTSnationals at National Trial Raceway. Saturday’s schedule has been adjusted to begin at 8 a.m. for the event which is an NHRA national event with racers earning points toward national championships.
Saturday’s schedule includes qualifying and time trials for all classes with Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, and Comp Eliminator making their first qualifying run at 1:30 p.m. Also on Saturday’s schedule are class eliminations for Stock and Super Stock along with the John Holt Race Cars HEMI Shootout and the JEGS Top Dragster Shootout.
Racing will continue on Sunday with elimination rounds in all classes and the crowning of champions. Tickets for the event are $20 Saturday and Sunday for adults, children 6-12 are $5 each day and children 5 and under are free with a paid adult. For more information, call National Trial Raceway (765) 928-8727 or visit www.nationaltrailraceway.com
NHRA will showcase the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series competitors at the final of three SPORTSnationals events this year when National Trail Raceway hosts the 7th annual JEGS NHRA Northern SPORTSnationals Sept. 23-25. Featured are drivers in six NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series categories, who will vie for valuable points leading to divisional and national championships.
The JEGS NHRA Northern SPORTSnationals boasts a guaranteed purse of nearly $65,000; competing classes include Comp, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, and Super Street. NHRA Lucas Oil Series national event points will be awarded to drivers in all categories except Super Street. The event will also include the popular Top Dragster and Top Sportsman categories in which, along with Super Street, drivers will be competing for divisional event points.
“The JEGS SPORTSnationals is becoming a time-honored tradition for NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series drivers. These men and women are truly the heart of the sport and deserve to have a national event based around them,” said Eric Lotz, NHRA director of field marketing and contingency program. “Everyone at JEGS has been a big supporter of the SPORTSnationals and the drivers as well. Their commitment to drag racing is undeniable.”
Though the focus of the event will be on competition in the core NHRA Sportsman categories,
Saturday’s action will include class eliminations in Stock and Super Stock, including the popular John Holt Race Cars Hemi Shootout as well as the Top Dragster JEGS Shootout and Top Sportsman VP Racing Fuels Shootout.
NHRA reintroduced the SPORTSnationals eight years ago at No Problem Raceway Park in Belle Rose, La., to rave reviews from racers and spectators. Prior to that, NHRA had hosted the SPORTSnationals from 1974 to 1986 at a trio of tracks, Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, Ky. (1974-80; 1985-86), the old Houston Int'l Raceway (1981-82), and Lucas Oil Raceway (1983-84).
The JEGS NHRA Cajun SPORTSnationals in March at No Problem Raceway Park was the first of the three events of the year and was followed by the JEGS NHRA Pacific SPORTSnationals presented by K&N at Auto Club Dragway at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
TICKETS: General-admission tickets for the JEGS NHRA Northern SPORTSnationals are $15 Friday, $20 Saturday, and $20 Sunday. Admission for children 6 to 12 years old is $5 each day, and kids 5 and younger will be admitted free with a paid adult. For ticket information, call National Trail Raceway, 740-928-5706. For additional information about the event, log on to www.NHRA.com or www.NationalTrailRaceway.com.
JEGS NHRA NORTHERN SPORTSnationals Fact Sheet
WHAT: 7th annual JEGS NHRA Northern SPORTSnationals, a national event exclusively for NHRA Sportsman competitors in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series. Sportsman competitors in eight categories will be featured in competition, and drivers in five of those categories will earn points leading to 2011 NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series national championships. Featured NHRA Lucas Oil Series categories are Comp, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, and Super Street. Top Dragster and Top Sportsman will also run at the event.
WHERE: National Trail Raceway, 2650 National Road SW, Hebron, Ohio; approximately 20 miles east of Columbus on old U.S. Highway 40, 1 mile north of Interstate 70 at the Kirkersville exit. From Columbus, take Interstate 70 to Highway 158 north and follow the signs, or take I-70 to Highway 37 north to U.S. Highway 40 and follow the signs.
WHEN: Friday through Sunday, Sept. 23-25, 2011.
PURSE: Posted purse of nearly $65,000, plus more than $330,000 in contingency postings.
FRIDAY, Sept. 23
Qualifying and time trials, 10 a.m.
TOP DRAGSTER/TOP SPORTSMAN/COMP ELIMINATOR QUALIFYING at 4 p.m.
SATURDAY, Sept. 24
Qualifying and time trials, 8 a.m.
STOCK CLASS ELIMINATIONS, 11 a.m.
SUPER STOCK CLASS ELIMINATIONS including John Holt Race Cars Hemi Shootout, noon
TOP DRAGSTER QUALIFYING, 1:30 and 4:30 p.m.
TOP DRAGSTER JEGS SHOOTOUT and TOP SPORTSMAN VP Racing Fuels Shootout, 2 p.m.
TOP SPORTSMAN QUALIFYING, 2:30 and 5 p.m.
COMP ELIMINATOR QUALIFYING, 3 and 5:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, Sept. 25
FINAL ELIMINATIONS, 8 a.m.
JR. DRAGSTER TIME TRIALS, 10:30 a.m.
COMP ELIMINATOR/TOP DRAGSTER/ TOP SPORTSMAN round 1, 11 a.m.
WINNER’S CIRCLE, 5 p.m.
SPECIAL EVENTS: John Holt Race Cars Hemi Shootout, Saturday; Top Dragster JEGS Shootout and VP Racing Fuels Shootout, Saturday.
TICKETS: Call National Trail Raceway, 740-928-5706, or log on to www.NationalTrailRaceway.com.
General admission (includes pit pass) – Friday: adult, $15, children (6-12), $5; Saturday: adult, $20, children (6-12), $5; Sunday: adult, $20, children (6-12), $5; children 5 and younger, free with a paid adult.
DEFENDING WINNERS: Charlie Greco (Comp), Craig Marshall (Super Stock), David Ficacci (Stock), Steve Hoyt (Super Comp), Dave Connolly (Super Gas), Ron Steiner (Super Street), Ryan Ondrejko (Top Sportman), Jeff Brown (Top Dragster)